Saturday, February 10, 2007

Oscar Nomination Reaction and the Fiend’s Personal Best of 2003

By Susan Thea Posnock

So, the nominations are in and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” is up for 11 Oscars. Can’t say I’m disappointed. While I was hoping Sean Astin would get in, his exclusion is not a shock. I'm not angry and don't think this is a "boycott the Oscars" type of snub. It would have been great to see individual actors recognized for the film, but it is a true ensemble piece. I’m not going to be bitter about this when there is so much to celebrate as a fan.

Actually, I’m more surprised that both Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany were overlooked for “Master and Commander,” especially given that film’s strong support with 10 nominations.

Biggest surprises: Keisha Castle-Hughes of “Whale Rider” (it is literally sitting in my DVD player, ready to be watched), and “City of God” getting screenplay and director nominations. (Note to self: See “City of God.”)

A lot of folks are shocked by the virtual “Cold Mountain” lockout, and I had picked it for Best Picture and Director, thinking the Miramax marketing machine would win out in the end. Must say I’m pleased, as the only truly deserving nominee from the film, Jude Law, was included. (No, I don’t think Renee Zellweger deserves the nomination. I like her but her work here is unsubtle and annoying. In other words, totally “Oscar-worthy,” heh. But I will note that she looks much better with a little meat on them skinny bones.) But thinking about the snubs to Harvey Weinstein and crew, I think its part of a backlash that has been building up over the last couple of years (despite victories like “Chicago”) that finally manifested itself more dramatically.

Anyway, more about the nominations after I’ve digested them. On to the best films of 2003.

Not every film I loved this year involved hobbits. In fact, some involved different types of “little people.” Others had different kinds of elves. And one or two had actors from LOTR, but I swear, that’s NOT why they made my top ten! Honestly.

In looking back, there are still films I need to see, especially now that the nominations are out. These include “City of God,” “Whale Rider,” “21 Grams,” “A Mighty Wind,” and “House of Sand and Fog.” So this list can only represent a small portion of what was released last year.

1. “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”

One could argue that I made up my mind about this film long before I saw it. That there was no way I could possibly prefer another film to it in 2003. Well, they would be right. Sort of. I’ve given this a lot of thought. And while I am extremely fond of my number two film of the year, there is something that ROTK has that puts it above any film I’ve seen in the last decade: an incredibly high chill/emotion factor. In other words, it either brought me to tears gave me chills, or both, many times. How did it chill me, let me count just some of the ways:

• Arwen’s vision and return

• Lighting the beacons

• Eowyn to Merry: Ride with me.

• Elrond to Aragorn: Become who you were born to be.

• Théoden: Death!!!

• Eowyn to the Witch King: I am no man!

• Sam takes on Shelob

• Sam takes on the tower: “that’s for Frodo, that’s for the Shire, and that’s for my Old Gaffer!”

• Gandalf and Pippin and the white shores

• Sam to Frodo: I can’t carry it, but I can carry you!

• Frodo: The Ring is mine!

• Gollum’s face at the end

• We saved Shire, but not for me

(Update: I just read through this two years later and some of these lines STILL give me chills.)

And many, many more.

2. “Lost in Translation”

First, let me point out that there is no connection to LOTR here. Although, Scarlett Johansson is a bit “elvish,” if you think about it… In any case, LIT is a special film. In any other year, it would easily be my favorite. Many films explore the subject of human connection, but few do it so successfully—deep and profound without being pretentious. It reminds me of Wong Kar-Wai’s “In the Mood For Love,” and I haven’t read much into this, but it seems Sofia Coppola was indeed inspired by that film (the words we cannot hear between the sublime Bill Murray and Johansson at the end, for example). Maybe it is the language barrier, but I found LIT to be more accessible than Kar-Wai’s film. Perhaps it’s just the point I’m at in my life, but I also identified strongly with both characters. Shortly after seeing it I had an epiphany about love and connections. Whenever cinema intersects so profoundly with my own life, I can’t help but feel a bit awed.

3. “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World”

I’ve always had a thing for Russell Crowe. But since “LA Confidential,” I haven’t really loved him in a movie. Strange I know, considering “Gladiator” and “A Beautiful Mind,” among others. Perhaps its because even in his best performances (with the exception of “LA Confidential” and “The Insider”) I always feel like I’m watching Russell Crowe acting and I’m unable to really get caught up in the character. With Capt. Jack Aubrey I was still aware of Mr. Crowe, but it’s like he WAS Aubrey in another life and it’s okay. This is what star power in a film should be (pay attention Tom Cruise). Even better, he shares the screen splendidly with the rest of this game cast (yes, that’s Billy Boyd AKA Pippin in there), in particular Paul Bettany. Whether acting together or playing their duets together, the two make beautiful music when they’re onscreen (sorry, couldn’t resist). Bettany (that Jennifer Connelly is a LUCKY woman), has been stealing scenes since “A Knight’s Tale,” but what makes him so good here isn’t that he takes the film from Crowe, but that they masterfully steer it together (once again, couldn’t resist). I know I didn’t predict it would make the Oscar shortlist for Best Picture, but I’m really glad I was proven wrong.

4. “American Splendor”

A film like “American Splendor” puts up a wall, and viewers either feel like they’re inside sharing an intimate experience with the characters (in this case both the real versions and the performed ones), or they feel like they’re on the outside looking in, unable to really access the story. Even though I didn’t know who Harvey Pekar was before seeing AS, I was glad to discover him and this unique approach to filmmaking worked for me. Pekar and his vision are warped with the mundane of every day life. It seems very simple on the surface, but like LIT hits in unexpected ways. I was moved by its life-kinda-sucks-yet-it’s-still sorta-beautiful viewpoint.

5. “Bad Santa”

Bad Santa is all about tone. In this case a bitter, painfully funny tone. Toward the end, the film teases the audience with getting too sentimental, and then too dark. But it’s a brilliant comedy because it manages to straddle the line and remain decidedly unsentimental without being heartless. Billy Bob Thornton is at his most pathetic. He’s a piss-drunk, safe-cracking, kid-hating Santa with a heart of gold. Well, maybe not quite gold. I loved him. But not as much as I loved Brett Kelly as “Thurman Merman,” who is pretty much the oddball outsider kid antidote for overly sweet or precocious child actors.

6. “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl”

Okay, let me just say for the record that Orlando Bloom as Legolas is damn pretty. But as Will Turner, the “traditional” hero of Pirates, he’s pretty AND handsome. Okay, he’s HOT. Swoon. And then there’s Johnny Depp. Oh how I’ve loved thee since the days of “21 Jump Street” (even though you probably hate that many of us discovered you there). As the “non-traditional” hero of the film, he’s also swoon-worthy (though in a weird eyeliner-wearing, fake English accent blokey pirate sort of way). He definitely puts a bit of swish in his swashbuckling. This one is way too clever for a Jerry Bruckheimer production, but I guess you never know.

7. “In America”

This film had me from the get-go because of those two wonderful performances from sisters Sarah and Emma Bolger. They were so natural, on a personal note, really reminding me of my nieces. “In America” is the type of story, especially given its personal roots, that could have been sappy and unbearable in the hands of a less gifted filmmaker. But with Jim Sheridan’s touch it gives off a warm, sad glow.

8. “Elf”

In an alternate universe, Will Ferrell would be up for Best Actor for his perfect embodiment of a certain type of elfdom. Since seeing Elf, I’ve had this fantasy in my mind where Ferrell shows up at Helm’s Deep and kicks ass along side Legolas and Gimli. Can’t you just picture him taking part in their body count contest??? Tee hee hee. Sorry. Anyway, the film does get a bit too sweet at the end, but its just so charming and funny. And it’s also very New York City, where one can find the World’s Best Cup of Coffee… on every block.

9. “Kill Bill: Vol. 1”

A film reviled by some and loved by others. I’d say I’m somewhere in the middle. The energy and chutzpah of “Kill Bill” are what makes it more than just a rundown of Quentin Tarntino’s film-geek dreams. Whatever you think of this first volume, it certainly has plenty of blood pumping through it—and out of it. In some ways a brilliant mess that may or may not improve once Vol. 2 comes out this year.

10. “Big Fish”

A bit too whimsical for some, it’s the ending of “Big Fish” that won me over. It blends the real with the surreal in a poetic way. To me, it’s a lovely homage to the art of storytelling.

Other notable films/performances:

The film that I most related to as New Yorker still haunted by 9/11: “The Guys”

The film that makes me want to marry Jack Black: “School of Rock” (just a shade off my top ten).

The best looking/sounding/feeling film that got corrupted by star power: “The Last Samurai”

The sexiest male performance: Alessandro Nivola as the British rock star in “Laurel Canyon.”

The sexiest female performance: Frances McDormand as the aging record producer in “Laurel Canyon.”

Sexiest scene that didn’t involve actual sex: Christian Bale and Natascha McElhone in the car in “Laurel Canyon.”

The best female comic performance: Jamie Lee Curtis in “Freaky Friday.”

Best kid’s film: “Holes”

Best horse film: “Seabiscuit”

Best apocalyptic film: “28 Days Later…”

Best opportunity to ogle Hugh Jackman despite the weird hairdo: “X2: X-Men United”

Best movie to fall asleep to: “Winged Migration”

Hottest Elf: Legolas

Funniest Elf: Will Ferrell

Crudest Elf: Tony Cox in “Bad Santa”

Best reason for Santa fetish: Lauren Graham’s explanation to Billy Bob’s “Bad Santa.”

I could go on forever, but I wont.

Go ROTK!!!!

(Originally published on OscarWatch.com. ©2004 OscarWatch All Rights Reserved.)

No comments: