Saturday, February 10, 2007

Love Letter to Return of the King

By Susan Thea Posnock

You'll have to forgive me, my dear readers, for getting a bit sappy. I like to have fun and kid around, but something has happened since I saw “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” and I can't be sarcastic or flippant about it: I have fallen in love.

Oh, you say that it isn't possible to fall in love with a movie? Well, maybe not for everyone. But I've had this feeling before, though not like this in a long time. Back in college I fell for the old Charlie Chaplin film “City Lights.” To this day, it is still my favorite film of all time, and I've seen plenty.

“The Return of the King” is not worthy of an Oscar. What I mean is, it is beyond that, above some arbitrary measure of quality, at least to me. Oh, I fully expect it to clean up at the Academy Awards in February and it deserves to.

But it doesn't really matter. It could win no awards and it, along with the complete trilogy, will stand as a spectacular cinematic achievement. I'm certain that years from now it will be remembered while other films, including the ones that beat the first two Rings movies for Oscar gold, “A Beautiful Mind” and “Chicago,” will likely be forgotten.

As a film fan, (raised on late show movies that my mom let me stay up for), I think there are several reasons why “Return of the King” stands above others.

(For those of you who haven't seen it, there will be some significant spoilers below.)

First of all, it concludes the filmed version of one of my favorite books of all time. It is not faithful to the letter. In fact, certain moments, including one of my favorite passages from the book, did not make the theatrical cut. It may be possible that I'll love the extended edition even more. But I have a sense, if not a professional knowledge, of the rules of cinema. And I know that the theatrical release already breaks some rules, so I don't think it could afford to throw every one of them to the wind. As a fan of the books, I feel a slight ache and miss what had to be cut. But as a fan of the movie alone, not in comparison to my memory of the books, it does feel complete.

The film picked me up and carried me away. It is movie magic at its finest. With the technology available to filmmakers today, many can show us worlds beyond our imagination. It doesn't just look right—it feels right. Whether it is Eowyn's big moment, or Sam's ultimate selflessness for Frodo, it is so well done that it has created a place in my imagination. It co-exists with my wonder for my favorite books, films and other works of art. These are moments that go beyond being cool or moving while I'm watching them.

They're stored along with the "real" memories of my life and are, in a way, as significant to me. To quote a character from “Annie Hall,” these scenes--from the epic to the small character beats--are transplendent.

But the main reason I've fallen in love with the film is its heart. Through the destruction of the ring, it manages to be one of the best action/fantasy films ever made. But the final 20 minutes or so, which many critics consider its flaw, are what makes it truly special to me. It is when the reason for the quest is made clear. Yes, there is more than one parting, more than one thread is tied. It may seem like these are false endings, but they are not. Each is earned by what has come before. To end sooner would be to cheat the film, the characters and the viewer of seeing the tale told to its true end: the moment when life really begins again for Sam, even as it's been profoundly altered.

It's funny, watching the film tonight for the third time—I saw it in a screening last Thursday and as part of Trilogy Tuesday yesterday, but I couldn't resist the urge to see it on opening night as well—I recognized some of its inherent “cheesiness," for lack of a better word. It is shamelessly sentimental. When the remaining members of the fellowship are finally reunited, the moment is almost hopelessly hokey. It just makes me love it even more.

In the end, Frodo and company elicit many tears of joy and sadness and even silliness. Like when I read the book, I felt overwhelmed when it was finally over.

I'm sure when it comes to movies I will love again.

But for now, the Ring has me, and it feels like it will never let go.

(Originally published on OscarWatch.com. ©2003 OscarWatch All Rights Reserved.)

No comments: