Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Fantastic Realm of Inner-Earth

By Susan Thea Posnock

I was in for a treat when I decided to watch “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” with my sister Ilene. Now, just to give some background: Ilene is an amazing person, one of the kindest, warmest, funniest people I know. But, when it comes to watching a movie, she's the type of viewer who asks things like “Who's that?” “What are they doing?” and “What's going to happen?” with disturbing frequency. She also provides a bit of running commentary. It is sort of like watching a film with the “Mystery Science Theater 3000” puppets, except that she isn't trying to be funny or make sly sarcastic remarks.

She had seen “The Fellowship of the Ring”—but only once and back when it was in the theater. Having never read the book, the world of Middle-earth is not one she is very familiar with. For starters, she seems to think it's called Inner-earth. And, she seems a bit preoccupied with dental hygiene in the “Lord of the Rings” universe: Gollum must have “periodontal disease” and orcs “all need dental work” and look like they have “bad breath.” All true, but with her blindingly white teeth, my sister has a real fixation on this topic. (And come to think of it, isn't it odd that in movies tooth decay almost always equals moral decay?)

Ilene is also very astute when it comes to observing character fashion. For instance, she was quite intrigued by Gollum's waifish style. She wondered (aloud): “How does a guy like that know how to cover his tush?” And I must admit I've thought the same thing (if not so eloquently).

While my sister's observations are silly on the surface they did get me thinking about how each individual brings something different to a film. It's one of the reasons why when it comes to films I love, there is nothing I enjoy more than introducing them to another person. I can only have the experience of seeing a film for the first time once, but by watching it with someone who hasn't seen it, I can sort of pretend—by looking through his or her eyes—that it is new to me.

So, seeing it with Ilene, I came to better appreciate how Aragorn is the “rugged” one and Legolas is the “pretty” one. But I also realized how with a film I'm so “emotionally attached” to, I find myself really defensive and insulted when someone doesn't like it.

This is particularly difficult when it is a die-hard Rings fan that is disappointed. On one level I completely understand why certain fans of the book are upset by certain changes; on the other hand, it is my strong belief that the movies should be judged as separate works and not compared to their written cousin. I received a rather indignant letter from a hardcore fan who accused me of having some sort of agenda in my review of TTT extended edition. The writer charged I was trying to sound enlightened by defending Peter Jackson's arrogant hack job. Obviously this person has not been reading this column, as my thoughts hardly come near providing (or attempting to provide) “enlightenment.” I'm a fan, a geek, pure and simple.

This brings me back to my sister and the thing I love best about watching films with her. She's not a snob. She loves films I consider pretty bad (“Mr. Deeds,” anyone?) and her favorite film, which she can quote from easily, is “The Ten Commandments.” Now there's a film that probably deviates quite a bit from the BOOK. But it is a great, grand piece of filmmaking—yes, with a big chunk of cheese, but still epic. Ultimately, what we're getting with the LOTR films is Peter Jackson's interpretation as he imagined it for film. I've never expected it to be perfect, just true to the spirit of the book. Personally, I think it is.

If my sister were creating it, it is very likely the Uruk-hai “birth” scene might be followed by the Uruk-hai BATH. But what can she do? Those uruks are dirty and smelly and most likely have really bad breath.

I know it's been said before, but the only way to get the film YOU imagine is to make it yourself. Better yet, just read the book again. Peter Jackson has made a film, he hasn't rewritten the book.

(Originally published on OscarWatch.com. ©2003 OscarWatch All Rights Reserved.)

No comments: