Saturday, February 10, 2007

Drunk with the One Power

By Susan Thea Posnock

As a writer, it has always been my dream to create a legacy that lives on through my work. When I was in college-studying classic scribes like Shakespeare, Byron and Keats-I would imagine future students would someday examine my brilliant literary works in the same way. They would pour over my prose, dissect my poetry and marvel at my private diaries. Now, I knew this was mostly a fantasy. (And given the actual content of my journals-from ramblings about the cute guy in creative writing to ludicrous poetry dedicated to the likes of Axl Rose-the idea of someone "studying" my youthful musings was rather embarrassing.)

Alas, I have now discovered my lasting impact on humanity. And no, it is not the great novel that will be read and talked about for years to come. My legacy is this: To help Lord of the Rings geeks hook up.

Thanks to my oh-so-tongue-in-cheek column last week, "For the Love of a Hobbit," Tolkien fans everywhere are dumping their non-LOTR-sensitive mates and pursuing pure, beautiful, "Hobbit" love. Not one, but two matchmaking sites for Ringers have surfaced on the Web within the last week, initially inspired by my tales of dirty, filthy, "Hobbit-less" love. "Sam-Loves-Rosie" < http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sam-loves-rosie/> has sprung up for 18 and over geeks; while the "Woods of Neldoreth" board, is helping to connect those under 18.

The boards are the brainchild of 31-year-old Heath Rezabek, known at theonering.net (TORN) as Luindil.

Here's the email Heath sent me, shortly after my last diary went up:

I enjoyed your article and agreed with its sentiments [it's the same for us men, you know...] so much that I decided to try an experiment! So now a yahoo-group exists for the whimsical matchmaking of Middle-earthers.

If you feel like it, you can feel free to post this fact! And of course, you're invited to join or look on. Who knows; maybe there are still more who feel just like we do about it all... Tongue firmly in cheek, of course, of course.

He also alerted TORN about the site, and within about 24 hours, there were over 400 members. Within a week, more than 750 posts have been written on the list.

Now, dear readers, I share all of this with you for a few reasons.

First of all, I'm both proud and terrified that my 'lil column could have this kind of immediate impact on people. I had no idea I held so much power at my fingertips. It reminds me of when I was first published, back in 1992, in the Asbury Park Press. As a stringer for the paper, I had the AWESOME responsibility of covering municipal meetings in Monmouth County, NJ. In my very first assignment, I thrilled residents of South Belmar with news that yes indeed; cable was finally coming to their town. Quite a breathtaking moment in my career. But nothing could prepare me for the rush of omnipotence I felt when Sam-Loves-Rosie was created.

I'm also writing about this to encourage those of you who aren't getting your fill of LOTR pillow talk to check out the site. Believe it or not, there really are people as obsessed with the films as you are. They are ready to share their LOTR desire. Just imagine the scene: the two of you discuss the intimate workings of Sam and Frodo's relationship, whilst sipping Merlot near a romantic fireplace, pillows strewn randomly about. I can almost smell the fire as it sparks, igniting your romance!

Finally, the most important reason for sharing this news: to warn (in the nicest way possible) voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (you know, the folks who pick the Oscars). You may think we're just a bunch of 14-year-old boys, but you will rue the day you made that assumption. Name Return of the King "Best Picture" next February, (assuming it is truly worthy of the honor), or deal with the wrath of not only the current generations of LOTR fans, but our spawn!

That's right, Academy. We're out there, we are many. And now, thanks to me, we're going to meet and BREED.

(Originally published on OscarWatch.com. ©2003 OscarWatch All Rights Reserved.)

No comments: