Saturday, February 10, 2007

Diary of a Hobbit Fiend: All You Geeks are Mine

By Susan Thea Posnock

I know this may come as a big shock to some of you. Brace yourselves. (Perhaps some of the more faint-hearted types should take a seat.) Apparently, (and again, you may not be prepared for this revelation), I am not the only person on the Web who is eagerly awaiting this little Peter Jackson flick. Indeed.

Who knew? Just a down-home film from New Zealand and to my surprise (and yours too, I'm sure), it has a nice little fan base.

Now that we've all recovered from the shock, I thought it would be nice to share some thoughts from those of you in this ‘lil LOTR-fandom-gang that have decided to respond to my first two diary installments.

I have not had the time to respond to everyone personally (though I've tried) and I would end up writing an endless column this week were I to include ALL of the comments I've received, but I'd like to share snippets and offer my own thoughts and WISDOM—because I'm wise, very very wise. And just so you geeks out there know (like I was stunned to discover): You are NOT alone.

Regarding the joys of those 10 minutes or so PRIOR to the start of “Secondhand Lions”

Kathy, 40, Indiana writes:

My daughter and I paid $6.00 each to see Secondhand Lions at a Saturday matinee. (She was there to see Haley Joel Osment; I was there for the trailer.) Well, the theater screwed up the showing of the trailer. It was half on the screen, half on the floor. Can you believe my luck?? You think I should have asked for my money back?

Kathy, it isn't about luck. It's about promises broken. Yes, you should have asked for your money back. But that's not enough for the pain and mental anguish you (and others who've written me of similar circumstances) had to endure. I say sue the heartless bastards.

Tijana, 23, Serbia writes:

The trailer gives me goose bumps every time. Wonder what the movie itself will do to me! ;)

You may want to consider taking a sedative before seeing “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.” Can you handle three and a half hours of goose bumps? (Okay, that sounds pretty good, actually.)

Julie writes:

I know, I know. I wanted to go, but (whisper softly) I haven't yet. I thought, okay, okay, I can see it on TV on the 29th. But that didn't work either. I've asked all my friends, even my husband, even my children, to go and see the SL with me, but they all know the real reason I want to go. No one will humor me…I'm well past the age of all the other geeks who wait in Line Parties (I could be Viggo's mother, Legolas's grandmother -- is what I feel when they're on-screen some sort of hot flash or something?), but I've been reading the trilogy since 1965, and I've seen the first two movies so many times the ticket sellers just see me coming and roll out my LOTR ticket. Without laughing anymore…I loved your diary. And I envy you and all the others who've seen the trailer I've waited years to see. I'll see it. I'll go alone if I have to.

Julie, I hope by now you've seen the trailer. Multiple times. Perhaps with Viggo and Orlando as your dates :) … But, if not, just go see it and imagine all of us crazy geeks right there with you.

Regarding “other” movies…

Brian writes:

What are some other movies you are looking forward to?

Well, there's the extended edition of “The Two Towers” in November. I hear that's a real winner. Oh, and the EE of ROTK which (I assume) will come out in November 2004. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

Ask Thea-den…

Jennifer writes:

I'm entertaining the idea of my Halloween costume being Gandalf's blue hat and gray robes over an Arwen dress! (Middle-Earth cross dresser?)

Actually, that may clash. You may want to consult a fashionista. Or, perhaps, a therapist.

General all-out fantabulous geekiness…

Susan in Hawaii writes:

Gee, I wish I had Viggo looking down upon me in bed like you do (be still, my beating heart!!), except my husband would probably get more annoyed with me than he is already! Sheesh, I told him it was only going to last until next November (extended DVD of ROTK!!!) and then our life would return to its normal, ordinary, boring,.....(sob, sob) meaningless, empty, hollow shell of a life without any more Lord of the Rings to look forward to.

You share a bleak image of the future. Do you suppose they will continue making movies and putting out DVDs once the LOTR Box Set comes out?

Cristy writes:

You are me except that I check TheOneRing.Net at least once a day, don't have a poster over my bed but have purchased Viggo photographs from a gallery and was thinking about having points permanently glued on my ears.

Well, just remember, those can be quite painful to remove. Don't do it unless you are REALLY sure.

Wendy writes:

My framed RoTK poster is ready - I just have to convince my husband that it is "art" and can be hung in the living room…Attached is our countdown to both the extended TTT DVD and the release of RoTK of course... I felt the need to create one so we would know exactly how many days are left :) My friends are ready to declare me insane.

Regarding the poster, if it's the one of Viggo it is obviously art, since Viggo is an artist. And yes indeed, you're loony ;) But so am I.

Andreea, 13, Virginia, Princess of the Geeks writes:

i also have the elven brooch...*high five* i ordered the aragorn rotk poster, too, (double-sided!!) and i also plan to put it above my bed....no one will ever sleep over at my house again...

You've got it, Andreea. You ARE the Princess. Oh, and I'm not the Queen (see “Corrections” below!!!). *high five*

Corrections…

Nikki, 46, Santa Rosa, CA writes:

Word of advice, if you are going to proclaim yourself "Queen of the Geeks," you'd better make darn sure your "Geek Spellchecker" is turned on, because other geeks will pounce upon errors as quickly as they spot inconsistencies in the films (such as Pippin's tied/untied/tied hands). Uh, "Elvin" Brooch should be "Elven" Brooch.

Ugh. Thanks for pointing out the mistake. (And thank you Sashala, for fixin' it.) I offer no defense. I'm not worthy. I am NOT worthy!!!!

Mark, 37, Texas writes:

Good writing, Susan. An entertaining read, seriously. But learn your language (you used ‘then' to contrast when you meant ‘than'). Writers who can spell carry more authority.

Thanks Mark. All I can say in my defense is that my schedule is such that I tend to write these diaries late at night. (It is 3 AM as I write this one.) I also need an editor! But I'll try and do better. I swears to do better. Otherwise, how can I possibly use this column in my secret plot for WORLD DOMINATION?

Some final thoughts from the President of my fan club…

Debi S., 33, Spokane, WA writes:

Your comments about SL & ROTK trailer are just what the rest of us feel (judging from the chatter @ TORn - and my own response) Alright, now it sounds like I'm kissing up to the queen. So let it be written, so let it be done.... arrg. I'm pathetic…P.S. Just one thing - if I tell about me, I want to hear about you.

Thanks, Debi. Nice “Ten Commandments” reference thrown in there…Don't you know enough about me already?? I mean, I'm sharing my goofy obsession with anyone willing to read this! But to reveal a little more: I'm 33, live in New York City and have a day-job in the exciting world of magazine publishing.

Oh and I really dig these LOTR films (and books, etc.), but I can quit anytime. Anytime.

(Originally published on OscarWatch.com. ©2003 OscarWatch All Rights Reserved.)

No comments: